M&Ms: A Brief History
Named after the surname of the company founders, Forrest E. Mars Sr and also Bruce Murrie, M&M Candies are colourful button shaped confections with candy shells that also contain a variety of fillings.
Featuring the iconic letter ‘m’ imprinted in lower case on one side of the shell the product originated in the United States. However it is now sold in over 100 countries around the world.
For many years the brand was also promoted under the tagline ‘Melts in your mouth, not in your hand’.
Styled ‘The Official Candy of the New Millennium’, on account of the letters MM being the Roman numerals for 2000. It also enjoyed a prolonged spike in sales around the turn of the century.
Over the years M&Ms has developed a rich and also very eventful legacy. Below is a timeline of some of the more notable events in its history.
1941 – M&Ms were originally made in five different colours – red, yellow, brown, green and also violet – using Hershey Chocolate.
1948 – Black cellophane packaging replaced the original cardboard packaging.
1950 – A black letter ‘M’ was imprinted on the candies for the first time.
1954 – The black letter ‘M’ was changed to a white letter ‘M’.
1954 – Peanut M&Ms were first introduced.
1960 – Peanut M&Ms added the yellow, red and also green colours.
1976 – Red as a colour was eliminated from the mix, due to health concerns over the use of the dye amaranth. (Although they were later introduced again).
1980 – The candy was launched in Australia, Canada, Europe, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia and also the UK too.
1982 – The product was first sent into space. Since then they have become a regular part on all subsequent missions.
1990 – Peanut Butter M&Ms were introduced.
1995 – Mars ran a promotion in which consumers could vote on which out of a new blue, pink or also purple M&M would replace the old tan colour. Blue was the winner.
1998 – Promotion as ‘The Official Candy of the Millennium’ begins, as MM is the Roman Numeral for 2000.
2008 – Wild Cherry M&Ms were introduced.
2017 – New M&M Chocolate blocks are launched in Australia.
M&Ms Colours & Flavours
Given their huge popularity, Mars has attempted to cash in on this by producing M&Ms in a range of different flavours. Some of them have been limited editions. While others only available in selected countries.
What we currently offer at Moo-Lolly-Bar includes.
– Mix Ups
In addition M&Ms are available around the world in a wide range of other flavours too including Dark Chocolate, White chocolate, Almonds, Birthday Cake, Red Velvet, Pecan Pie, Coconut, Candy Apple, Pretzel, Cherry, Raspberry, Orange Chocolate and also Pineapple.
Whilst the Milk Chocolate version of M&Ms remains the most popular, the Peanut Butter version is not too far behind in terms of customer preference.
Typically a pack of M&M candies come in the standard colours of red, blue, orange, yellow, green and also brown. However M&M candies are available in the USA in a range of single colours.
These include Aqua, Black, Blue, Brown, Cream, Dark Blue, Dark Pink, Gold, Green, Light Green and also Light Pink. As well also as Lilac, Maroon, Orange, Purple, Red, Silver, Sky Blue, Teal, White and Yellow.
As a result of their striking appearance, these individual colours of M&Ms have also proved to be very popular for lolly buffets at weddings as well as business events and other celebrations.
They are also regularly used in promotional marketing activities like direct mailings and street giveaways.
10 Fun Facts
– The company’s New Jersey factory produces a whopping 2 Billion M&M’S every EIGHT HOURS.
– When they first came out M&Ms were packaged in cardboard tubes.
– M&Ms were the official Snack of the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
– M&Ms were also the first candy to rocket into space in 1981 (Upon request of the crew aboard NASA’s first space shuttle, Columbia).
– In 1982, Mars rejected the inclusion of M&M candies in the new Steven Spielberg movie E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. Instead Reese’s Pieces were used and enjoyed tremendous success.
– M&Ms World in Las Vegas is a 28,000 square foot, four-level building dedicated to showcasing and selling the product.
– During the 1980s the Rock Group Van Halen used to stipulate in their riders that the venue provide M&Ms with all the brown candies removed. (Apparently as a test of their attentiveness to more important matters like security).
– Google employs get many perks including free shuttle rides and also gym memberships. They used to get lots of free M&M candies too until the company decided to offer them foods like figs and nuts instead.
– Green M&Ms are rumoured to be an aphrodisiac. Indeed on Valentine’s Day an all green pack of M&Ms are produced as a limited edition.
– Ernie Irvan (1999), Ken Schrader (2000–02), Eliott Sadler (2003–06), Ricky Rudd (2007), David Gilliland (2006–07), Kyle Busch (2008-current) and also Michael McDowell have all driven the M&M’s sponsored car in NASCAR races.
Want To Buy M&Ms in Bulk?
You can buy M&M candies in bulk at our online store.
We also sell a wide range of other popular chocolate brands from all around the world. This includes Cadbury, Nestle and also Hershey.
Orders can be sent to any work, home and also PO Box address in the country. They can also be tracked 24/7.
Comments are closed